About Us

Because a girl who grew up in the south most of her life, met her husband while in Italy and moved to Iowa in 2003. She is now a transplanted southern girl who's life has changed in many ways since moving to the Midwest. Now wanting to share her life, this blog began ...............

Monday, May 6, 2013

Pickled Eggs

Dark & Spicy 
Refrigerated Pickled Eggs





This  past year we have made some new and exciting changes to our lifestyles.  We have added chickens to our garden/farm which I am sure I will be blogging about soon.  We are changing the way we eat as well.  Wanting to make some items at home so that I can basically control & know more of where my ingredients come from & how they are made, I am learning different and new ways to make homemade goods.  I am doing things that I never would have thought that I would be doing almost 12 years ago before I met my husband.  So this summer on top of my crochet projects & part-time job, I want to expand my knowledge of canning & preserving. 

Anyway, Sunday night on our way home from church we were having a conversation in the car with the kids and ended up talking about Fermentation.  We were talking about foods that could be fermented and the topic of pickled eggs came up & my husband wants to try them.  So, last night when I got home, I got online and looked for a recipe & found one to try today.  I wanted something a little different than the typical recipes that I found searching the Internet and Pinterest.  This is the recipe that I decided to make, the recipe is courtesy of Simply Canning.  


How to make Refrigerated Pickled Eggs (Dark & Spicy Eggs)






Pickled Eggs start off with boiled eggs.  I discovered oven baking hard eggs through one of my daily searches on Pinterest.  I have tried this method several times & we love the results.  I recently had to get a new gas range & still learning how to cook/bake with it, so I am having to adjust how long and at what temperature I need to bake eggs.  As mentioned earlier we have added chickens and some of those are egg layers, so I use Farm Fresh Eggs.  I have yet to perfect my shell peeling technique so my eggs were not picture perfect or there would be a picture below of how my eggs looked after peeling the shells of the eggs.  This was not my favorite part & I got frustrated a bit because I could get the shells of as easily as I would have liked. 

After that step is done, the recipe says to combine all ingredients 






Ingredients: 

  • 11/2 cups cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 T dark brown sugar
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp mixed pickling spice
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke or hickory smoke salt
  • 2 tsp salt







Directions: 

Bring Ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat & simmer for about 5 minutes.  

While ingredients are simmering, pack one dozen peeled, hard-baked eggs loosely into a warm quart jar.  I used a quart mason jar.  Sorry no picture of this step.  I actually only had 11 eggs because while peeling the eggs, one got away from me and I had to eat it with sprinkled with salt (Yummy).  

Once the eggs are in jar,  pour the liquid brine over the eggs in the jar. Completely cover the eggs & place a lid on the jar.   Refrigerate immediately. 








Should be ready in 2-3 weeks. You are done, pretty simple recipe.  The recipe does state that these eggs are to be refrigerated & not to be stored on the shelf.  Since it can take up to 3 weeks to be ready, I had purchase some dissolvable canning labels from Ball which can be purchased at your local store.  I bought mine at Wal-Mart.  This will be my reminder of when we can try these pickled eggs.  Looking forward or shall I say my husband is looking forward to trying these out.  I on the other hand am not completely sure if I would like pickled eggs.  Guess we shall find out later on this month.  




  
















No comments:

Post a Comment