About Us

Because a girl who grew up in the south most of her life, met her husband while in Italy and moved to Iowa in 2003. She is now a transplanted southern girl who's life has changed in many ways since moving to the Midwest. Now wanting to share her life, this blog began ...............

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Home Made Lotion

Well, it is the time of year where I suffer from dry itchy skin.  I wanted to give a stab at making my own lotions. We recently purchased 5 goats, this past fall and two of them are milking goats.  I wanted to make a goat milk lotion as we have the goats but, that will have to wait since my milking goats are not producing milk.   So, I am looking forward to all the products that I can make from goat milk.  Soaps, Lotions, Cheese and much more.  So, until then, I thought I would just look and find something from store bought items and see how that worked.  I found a recipe by  Creatively Southern for the Cure for Dry Winter Skin.  


This recipes says that it makes eight 8 ounce wide mouth Ball canning jars.  She made these as gifts which is a good idea but, for myself, I didn't want that much so I cut the recipe in half. Plus I wanted to see if I liked the lotion before I made more of it.   I wanted to know if it really worked on my dry winter skin, especially on my back, one of favorite products is my bear claw back scratcher.  


Here’s what you’ll need for a Large Batch of Lotion or you can do what I did & cut the recipe in half.  I used my weight scale to get the amounts needed.  You can get all these ingredients at Wal-Mart instead of driving around to different stores.  

(8) - 8 ounce wide mouth Ball canning jars 
27 oz. bottle of baby lotion 

7 oz. Aquaphor or generic brand therapeutic ointment.  

(2)-4 oz. containers of Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E cream

8 oz. extra virgin coconut oil (the solidified kind).


This is a simple recipe to follow.   Just mix everything in a large mixing bowl. I used my hand mixer to combine everything until it was smooth and creamy. This can take a while.  Mine still ended up a bit lumpy from the solidified coconut oil, I think if and when I make this recipe that I will put the coconut oil in the microwave a bit.


When everything is smooth and creamy, spoon the mixture over into your jars and that’s it!   I had enough to fill almost two containers that I found around the house.  I have no verdict on whether or not this works for me or not.  I shall update later when I have been using this lotion for some time.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment