About Us

Because a girl who grew up in the south most of her life, met her husband while in Italy and moved to Iowa in 2003. She is now a transplanted southern girl who's life has changed in many ways since moving to the Midwest. Now wanting to share her life, this blog began ...............

Monday, January 27, 2014

Goats

Sometime during the summer of 2013 we decided that we would look into raising goats.  The main purpose was to be able to basically do the clearing and weeding of parts of our property.  I started thinking of other things that I could do to supplement our income now that I am at stay at home mom.  Since, my husband wanted to add goats to the list of things we do, I thought it would be good that we could make goat milk products, soaps and lotions and then venture off from there.  I told him & he followed through with his idea.  So, in August of 2013 we bought our first milking goat, a Nubian mix.  Her name is Edith.

My husband wanted to add more so, we went down to Cameron, MO to add to our small heard and picked up 3 more goats.  We went to pick up a Kiko goat, we named her Cameron and ended up with two more Texmaster goats, a set of twins which we named Penny & Jenny.  Sadly we lost one of them, Penny to an illness.  




Later on we bought to more male goats.  A pure breed Nubian goat named Lyons to breed with our goats. Then we goat a fainting goat, named Fritz.  I was finally able to get the fainting goat I wanted.  He doesn't faint as easily one expects but, we has done so, it is quite funny I have to admit.  I don't have pictures of those two at the moment.  I am mostly like to share more later on as I experience the life of raising goat on our farm.  We have since moved the goats to the barn area for the winter and in hopes that we will be adding to our small heard in the near future.  This is a whole new deal for us.  I hope you will enjoy reading about our experiences with raising animals on the Boyce Family Homestead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment